What’s the best way to get into the true spirit of the holiday season? Doing something nice for your community of course! And, we’ve got a couple suggestions for you this week! Ashley Thornton and Brodie Bashaw highlight some local happenings you might be interested in.
- Sat Dec 14 - Big Texas Christmas Present benefiting Compassion (Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum and Big 95 Waco Texas Rocks)
Tomorrow, you can stop by the Texas Ranger Museum tomorrow between Noon and two to participate in the Big Texas Christmas Present benefitting Compassion Ministries. Waco Texas Rocks will be there selling rocks to be painted. And Compassion Ministries will also be accepting gift items and monetary donations. For each rock purchased to paint or item donated, you will receive one free admission to the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum. Compassion Ministries helps those who are homeless or on the verge of homelessness into permanent housing and employment, and they appreciate your support through the Big Texas Christmas Present.
- Wed Dec 18 - The Sunshine Project – Waco Boutique Crawl (The Sunshine Recovery House) ⟶ Wed Dec 18 thru Sat Dec 21
Starting Wednesday and continuing through the next Saturday – December 21st - EIGHT local boutiques are hosting a fundraiser for The Sunshine Project. It’s a chance to shop for a purpose! A portion of EVERY purchase made with The Sunshine Project punch card will be donated to the Sunshine Recovery House! The Sunshine Recovery House is a long term sobriety house here in our community helping women find their worth and another chance at life.
- Fri Dec 13 - CaBEARet (Baylor Theatre)
You also have several terrific opportunities to get out and enjoy some music this week.
Tonight is “CaBEARet.” A musical revue that features students from the Baylor Musical Theatre Workshop. Tickets are pay-what-you-can and all proceeds benefit the Leta Horan and Jerry MacLauchlin Endowed Scholarship for Musical Theatre. Suggested donation is $20 for adults. The box office opens at 6:30 for general admission seating in the Jones Theatre, inside the Hooper-Schaeffer Fine Arts building.
- Sat Dec 14 - Christmas Coffeehouse featuring Baylor’s VirtuOSO (Calvary Baptist Church)
And tomorrow you can enjoy Baylor’s award winning acapella group, Baylor VirtuOSO in concert with the Methodist Children’s Home Choir. The event will take place at Calvary Baptist Church on 18th street. Suggested donation is $10 per person or $25 per family. Show starts at 7.
- Church music
Sun Dec 15 - Sing-a-long Messiah https://www.facebook.com/events/1431984926977564/
Sun Dec 15 - A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols (St. Alban's Episcopal Church, Waco)
Sun Dec 15 - Christmas Concert – First Waco (First Waco)
On Sunday evening you have a handful of choices for special Christmas music at local churches.
- Seventh & James Baptist Church is hosting their annual Sing-Along “Messiah” with an orchestra. Everyone is invited to sing along or just sit and enjoy this wonderful music. The event is free and and music scores will be available at the door. Join in for the reception at 4:30 if you like – the performance will start at 6.
- Also at 6:00 pm, the Choir & Choristers of St. Alban’s Episcopal Church will present the much-loved Christmas service of Nine Lessons and Carols. Admission is free with a festive reception to follow. Nursery care is available. St. Alban’s is located on N. 30th street.
- And at 7 pm, Youth Chorus of Central Texas will be performing their Christmas Concert at First Methodist Waco, at the Austin Avenue Campus – formerly Austin Avenue United Methodist. Admission is $5 at the door with a reception following the concert.
- Sun Dec 15 - The Nutcracker with the Waco Symphony Orchestra (Waco Symphony Orchestra)
Also on Sunday, The Ballet Frontier of Texas joins the Waco Symphony Orchestra to perform Tchaikovsky's ballet, The Nutcracker. Tickets start at $40 on the Waco Symphony website.
- Thu Dec 19 - The Sound of Music – CYT (CYT Waco)
⟶ Thu Dec 19 thru Sun Dec 22
On Thursday the Waco Christian Youth Theatre kicks off its run of The Sound of Music. You can buy tickets online for $10 or $15 at the door. The performances will take place at the Ball Performing Arts Center on MCC Campus. If you can’t make it Thursday, the show will continue through December 22.
- Fri Dec 13 - Christmas on the Brazos (Historic Waco Foundation)
⟶ Fri Dec 13 thru Sun Dec 15 and Sat Dec 14 - Breakfast with Santa (Historic Waco Foundation)
And just a few more Waco Holiday traditions to round out the week: Starting tonight and continuing through Sunday, you can join the Historic Waco Foundation for Christmas on the Brazos. This year's theme is Songs of the Season and each of the three historic houses will be decorated with inspiration from classic Christmas songs. You can buy a ticket to tour all three houses for $20. And as part of this celebration, tomorrow morning the Historic Waco Foundation will be hosting Breakfast with Santa. The breakfast will take at the East Terrace historic house on Mill Street. You and your family are invited to enjoy making holiday crafts, munching on breakfast treats, and of course, taking pictures with Santa! Breakfast with Santa will take place from 9 to 11 tomorrow morning. Tickets are $20 per family and can be purchased at the door.
Tonight should be perfect weather to stroll through downtown with a cup of hot cocoa in hand – it’s the 2019 Cocoa Crawl presented by Downtown Waco. For those of you who pre-ordered your Cocoa Crawl mug you can pick them up at Union Hall on Franklin. Then, from 5 to 7 this evening, you can pop in and out of participating downtown businesses to mingle, shop and fill your mug with free hot cocoa! If you didn’t order a mug, don’t worry, most participants will have disposable cups on hand for you to use.
- Tue Dec 17 - Community Christmas Celebration (Centex Hispanic Chamber of Commerce)
Then on Tuesday evening you are invited to stop by the Centex Hispanic Chamber of Commerce on LaSalle for their Christmas Celebration! It’s another chance to drink some cocoa and share your wish list with Santa – that guy is moving fast this week! I hope he is saving some energy for Christmas Eve! The celebration will take place from 6 to 8 and all are welcome to this free community event!